When deep depressions develop under the eyes, it can make a person look old and tired. These depressions are known as tear troughs and are a common sign of aging. For those who are unhappy with the appearance of prominent tear troughs, dermal fillers are an effective option for smoothing tear troughs and rejuvenating the appearance without the downtime of surgery. To find out which tear trough treatment is right for you, we invite you to schedule a consultation with Fullerton, CA plastic surgeon William Baugh.
What Is a Tear Trough?
A tear trough is a groove that some people develop beneath the eye. This groove arches down from the inner corner of the eye, extending under the lower eyelid. This forms somewhat of a separation between the lower eyelid and the cheek, causing many with deep tear troughs to look more tired and older than they are.
Tear troughs are caused by the aging process as the tissues lose elasticity and volume. These changes, along with the development of lower eyelid bags, can create deep tear trough grooves, causing many to feel unhappy with their appearance.
Treatment for Tear Troughs
Non-invasive treatments are a popular option for smoothing tear troughs and rejuvenating the appearance because they offer long-lasting results with little to no recovery time. There are many options when it comes to non-invasive treatments:
- JUVÉDERM™: JUVÉDERM™ is an injectable gel consisting of hyaluronic acid that helps plump the skin and increase volume when injected, making it a great option for those with minor tear troughs.
- Restylane® and Perlane®: Those with more moderate tear troughs may want to consider Restylane® and Perlane® as these were developed to treat moderate to severe wrinkles.
- Radiesse®: For those with more severe tear troughs, Radiesse® may be the best option. Radiesse® is made of a synthetic material that helps fill out deep facial grooves while also stimulating collagen production.
Regardless of the type of dermal filler, treatment is fast, taking as little as 15 minutes to complete, and is performed on an outpatient basis, making it easy to fit treatment in just about any busy schedule.
Patients may experience some minor swelling immediately after treatment, but should be well enough to return to their daily activities. Depending on the dermal filler used, results may take several days to show.
The results of dermal fillers can wear off over time with most patients seeing results last for a few months to a year. Accordingly, treatment with dermal fillers will need to be repeated about once a year or more to maintain results.
Candidates for Tear Trough Treatment
Candidates for tear trough treatment include men and women. Although tear troughs often develop as people get older, some people may have significant tear troughs at a younger age. Candidates for tear trough treatment may be as young as their late 20s. Candidates also include:
- Those who are unhappy with the appearance of prominent tear troughs
- Those who have tear troughs that accentuate the fatty deposit, or “bags,” under their eyes
- Those who have dark shadows beneath their eyes from deep tear troughs
- Those who feel as though they look older or more tired than they are due to prominent tear troughs
Learn More about Your Treatment Options
To find out which tear trough treatment is right for you, we welcome you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Baugh.