Treatment for an Uneven Complexion
Uneven skin tone or complexion can sometimes make individuals feel embarrassed or self-conscious about their appearance. There are a few different reasons why the skin can develop hyperpigmentation, causing dark spots in some areas and light spots in others.
Dr. William P. Baugh uses a number of treatments, including cosmetic lasers, to help smooth and even out skin tone. In this article, the team at Full Spectrum Dermatology in Fullerton, CA, discusses some of the most common causes and treatments for an uneven complexion.
What Causes an Uneven Complexion?
In general, uneven complexion is caused by excess melanin. There are a few different ways this can occur:
- Sun exposure: The number one cause of uneven skin tone, exposure to harmful UV rays can lead to increased melatonin production.
- Inflammation: Any time the skin becomes inflamed – from a burn, cut, or other injury – melanin is triggered during the healing process. This can lead to uneven complexion.
- Air pollution: Though you may not realize it, pollutants in the air – such as chemicals, dust, and carbon dioxide – can seep into the pores, triggering your body’s defense system. As a result, excess melanin is produced.
- Hormonal changes: Major hormone fluctuations can cause uneven skin tone. This is especially true for women who are going through specific life changes, such as pregnancy.
Clinical Treatments for an Uneven Complexion
The most effective way to balance uneven skin tone is to undergo professional treatments at our Fullerton, CA, practice. Below, we will explore some of the most common procedures available.
Cosmetic Laser Treatment
Advanced laser technology can gently and safely vaporize damaged skin tissue. Unlike chemical peels and microdermabrasion, cosmetic laser treatment targets deeper layers of the skin to help stimulate natural collagen production. This method is also effective for darker skin tones.
Another common treatment for uneven skin tone is a chemical peel at our dermatology practice. These treatments are available in light, medium, and deep, depending on the specific needs of the patient. The chemicals penetrate the tissues and trigger exfoliation, revealing newer, more beautiful skin.
This popular treatment eliminates the damaged, outermost layer of skin while promoting collagen production for a more youthful appearance. In addition to treating uneven complexion, microdermabrasion can address mild scarring and sun damage.
Lifestyle Changes to Support Healthy Skin
To make the most out of your skin treatments, it is important to follow a few guidelines. Here are a few recommendations from our team at Full Spectrum Dermatology:
- Always use sunscreen. Regardless of the time of day or year, you should always apply sunscreen before heading outdoors. This not only prevents sunburn but also reduces the risk of age spots and uneven complexion.
- Drink plenty of water. Applying moisturizer is effective for hydration. But drinking water hydrates your body from the inside out. Drink at least eight glasses every day.
- Avoid certain foods and beverages. Sugary foods can actually trigger uneven skin tones and exacerbate wrinkles and age spots.
Contact Us for More Information
Have you developed an uneven skin tone over the years? Treatments at our Fullerton, CA, dermatology practice can help. To learn more, or to schedule an appointment at Full Spectrum Dermatology, contact us online or call our office at (714) 879-4312.